Friday, November 24, 2006

The Smell of Gold, the Fear of Sleep


Similes on the Big Screen, Take 3:

Believe it or not, I knew a fellow once who could smell gold like a jackass can smell water. (Howard, “Treasure of the Sierra Madre,” 1948)

I can't sleep any more. It's too much like death. (Cosmo, “Moonstruck,” 1987)

An artist without freedom is like a bird without wings.(Anatoly, “Moscow on the Hudson,” 1984)

He spurned me like a strumpet in the street. (Nefretiri, “The Ten Commandments,” 1956)

You know what I feel like? I feel all the time like a cat on a hot tin roof. (Margaret, “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof,” 1958)

From “The Cat in the Hat,” (2003):

Conrad: I'm not going to military school.
Lawrence Quinn: Oh, I think you're gonna love it! It's just like summer camp, except with brutal forced marches and soul-crushing discipline.

The Cat: Wow! This is just like the carnival, just without the abused animals and the drunken clowns with hepatitis.

No comments: